Tuesday 28 October 2014

Frank the film muse

Today was sort of really productive and yet really unproductive, I got a couple of my large sheets almost finished and started to add to my sketch book but at the same time I watched a lot of tv and did a lot of laptop time. I need to get out of this funk soon and get some work done.


I did however watch a great film today, Frank, which stars Michael Fassbender, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Domhnall Gleeson, who was in Harry Potter but plays a much douchey-ier role in this. Its a really odd film, in a good way, it deals with artistic vision, the music industry and mental illness and it does so beautifully. The trailer kinda leads you astray and it goes in a completely different direction than you'd think. I love the weird jingly jangly shouty music that Frank's band 'Soronprfbs' which I don't think anyone knows how to pronounce, not even Maggie Gyllenhaal's character Clara, who is a super boss and has the best style in the whole film, I'm totally going to try and copy the makeup she does



The main character Frank is really interesting, you kinda get the whole sadness about him and I love how the movie characters accepted his mental illness rather than tried to change him. Michael Fassbender is a favourite of mine and I hope he does more of the little quirky films like Frank in the future. One good thing about wasting a morning watching the film is that Frank's paper mache head, that yes he does wear even in the shower, has given me a bit of inspiration, I have his face drawn onto the back of my hand at the moment, I want to do some journal pages on it. 


All in all it was a great film and I'm obsessed with Frank's 'Most likable song ever' and it has genuine sad and funny moments. It's kinda weird to think how well they created a comedic film that centers around the issue of mental health. 

xxx
Rosie

No comments :

Post a Comment